Monday, July 12, 2010

Taco Sauce

I love me some taco sauce. On tacos, spanish rice, breakfast burritos, etc. Not really sure why I decided to try making this one as I never really bought taco sauce before but now I can't live without it.

I think this recipe is a copy-cat version of a Taco Bell sauce but I'm not sure. I found it somewhere on the web and really liked it just the way it was so I didn't modify it other than using less salt.

Taco Sauce

6 oz can tomato paste
3 cups water
2 tsp white vinegar
1 1/2 Tbsp chili powder
1 Tbsp onion powder
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp cumin
1/8 tsp cayenne
2 tsp corn starch

Mix everything but the corn starch in a medium sauce pan and bring to a boil over medium heat. Cook for 5-10 minutes over medium-low heat. While sauce is cooking, mix corn starch with 1/4 cup water to make a slurry. Add slurry to sauce and cook until thickened. Pour into bottles and refrigerate.


This makes quite a lot of taco sauce so I divide it up and freeze half of it. In the fridge, it lasts about a month. If you want a spicier sauce, add more cayenne. Hope you enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment