Sunday, July 11, 2010

BBQ Sauce

My favorite BBQ sauce is made by Sweet Baby Ray's. Back in the day, SBR's sauce was made with tomato sauce, spices, SUGAR, etc. Now look at the label and the first ingredient is HFCS. Why? Why are all the good sauces now 'flavored' corn syrup? WHY?!? So once again, I tried finding a sauce that didn't have HFCS in it. My search for a GOOD BBQ sauce that didn't have HFCS in it came up short. There are some regional joints that make a 'it'll do' sauce but I wanted GOOD! So onto the net I went.

This particular recipe is supposedly the recipe they use at Big Al's in Kansas City. I don't believe it. Why would he leak his secret to the best BBQ?? Anyway, this is a very good recipe that is VERY similar to Sweet Baby Ray's. The original recipe made 6 cups of sauce. I'm not going to store 6 cups of BBQ sauce in my fridge so I cut the recipe in half. My recipe has WAY less salt than the original recipe calls for and if you find it needs salt...add some. Anyway, here goes my halved, less salt, version...

Big Al's style BBQ Sauce

1 cup ketchup
1 cup tomato sauce
1/2 cup plus 2 Tbsp brown sugar
1/2 cup plus 2 Tbsp red wine vinegar
1/4 cup molasses
2 tsp liquid smoke
1 Tbsp butter
1/2 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp onion powder
1/4 tsp cayenne
1/8 tsp chili powder
1/8 tsp cinnamon

Combine all ingredients in a medium saucepan and simmer for 20 minutes. For a thicker sauce, simmer longer (30 minutes). For a thinner sauce, add water.


I have no clue how long it lasts in the fridge cuz I never leave it around long enough to find out. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment